Memorial Day Weekend – It is a big traditional race weekend back on track from the 2020 Covid schedule shake up. NASCAR is back in familiar territory after going swimming at Circuit Of The Americas. Charlotte and the Coca-Cola 600 are on for Sunday, May 30. Earlier in the day, the Indy 500 takes the track for the tradition back in its place for the day before Memorial Day.
These are the big races that catch people with watch parties and cookouts or even bigger weekends with fans at the tracks in Charlotte or Indianapolis. However… It’s 2021 and we have DVRs and digital replay. If you really want to see the big ones on TV, but have something else to do at race time, hit record and your Monday is there for play back. As for something else to do…? Perhaps some local racing would be the fix.
- 5/28-29 Langley Speedway – Monster Trucks Xtreme Showdown (Friday, Saturday)
- 5/28-29 Eastside Speedway – Test/Tune and Drags (Friday, Saturday)
- 5/29 South Boston Speedway Southside Disposal Showdown – Late Model, Limited Sportsman and more
- 5/29 Virginia Motorsports Park Bert Jackson Memorial Day Extravaganza – Category Drag Racing
- 5/29 Natural Bridge Speedway – VA Sprint Series & Late Model, Crate Late Model, Sportsman
- 5/29 Lonesome Pine Speedway Larry Johnson State Farm Night – Limited Late Models/ Mod Street
- 5/30 Franklin County Speedway Memorial Day Bash – Late Model, Chargers and more, including fireworks!
- 5/30 Wythe Raceway – All Star Late Model, Mid-East Modified (Sunday)
Bottom line… There is some good racing at tracks across Virginia. (Tracks across the Country, for that matter) It’s not just that local tracks need the support or the local drivers need the fans in the seats, it’s about racing. It’s about the fact that racing at Charlotte or Indy is, at the most common denominator, just like the racing at your local track. The cars, the sounds, the drivers that make local stars and the teams and sponsors that support them are all a part of it.
The largest part is you… The fans that love racing in all of its forms and styles. With that, Memorial Day Weekend offers everything from local to really big national racing events. Fans will have no shortage of options. Go racing!